Thanksgiving has officially wrapped up and deals upon deals upon deals are filling our inboxes and social media feeds. However, the holiday season is about much more than good food and sales – it’s a time to give back. Giving Tuesday, which falls the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, is a day of giving that kicks off the charitable season. Find out how you can make a difference on Giving Tuesday and all year round:
- Volunteer Your Time: Volunteering at a local organization is a rewarding and free way to give back to your community. Find out which non-profits or charities in our area could use a helping hand. Make it a team effort and grab some friends or co-workers!
- Offer Monetary Donations: If you want to get involved, but don’t have the time, donate to a local, national or global organization of your choice. Even a small donation can make a difference. If you don’t know where to donate, think of something that’s close to your heart. Are you an advocate for children? Do you love animals? Conduct a little research to find a place that you feel proud to support.
- Utilize Social Media: Social media has played a big role in setting up fundraisers and collecting donations especially for Giving Tuesday. Facebook has even partnered with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to match up to 2 million dollars in donations that are made to eligible nonprofits. Use social media to see where others are donating or check to see if your favorite non-profit has something setup on their Facebook page.
- Clean Out Your Closet: Do have gently used clothing that no longer fits or you don’t wear anymore? It’s time to do some overdue spring cleaning and give it a new home. Look into local organizations that directly give to those in need for little to no cost like a shelter, crisis center or church. Besides clothing, many organizations also accept shoes, hygiene and beauty items.
- Pay It Forward: Paying it forward is a great way to give back on a smaller scale. It could be as simple as giving someone a compliment or putting your cart back at the grocery store. Maybe you pay for the coffee of the person behind you in the drive thru line. Any small act of kindness that would bring a smile to someone’s face.
- Host an Event: Although Giving Tuesday is coming up quickly, consider how you can give back all year round! Besides the things mentioned above, hosting an event for your community can make a huge impact. At Heartland Dental, many of our supported doctors participate in Free Dentistry Day and My Free Smile. You could also host a fundraiser – car wash, bake sale, chili cook-off, etc. – and donate the money to a cause that’s important to you.
For more information on Giving Tuesday or how you can get involved, visit their website.