For many, the words “work” and “fun” traditionally don’t go together, but they should. Part of engaging your team is creating an environment that promotes positivity, prosperity and collaboration. A more enjoyable workplace will not only cause your team to be more productive, but your patients will benefit from it too! A thriving, upbeat environment will help your patients to feel content and comfortable in your office. It’s likely their extraordinary experience could lead them to accept treatment and refer you to their friends as well. Here are some fun and easy ways you can keep your team (and your patients!) engaged:
- Decorate your office: Just because it’s an office doesn’t mean it has to look like an office. You and your team spend lots of time at work, and your space should feel welcoming. Decorating for the holidays is a perfect opportunity to entertain your team and patients. No holidays to be celebrated this month? Find another relatable theme or event. A creative and decorative atmosphere is more light-hearted and relaxing for you, your team and your patients.
- Play upbeat music: Music can have a positive impact on people’s moods. Ask your team what type of tunes they like, and create a playlist that everyone can sing along too. Get your patients involved by asking them what their favorite songs are. Be sure whatever music you’re playing appeals to a wide variety of audiences.
- Get to know your patients: Encourage your team to get to know their patients! What is the patient’s favorite hobby? Do they have any pets? Where have they traveled recently? When team members are able to create that personal and emotional connection, tension will be alleviated all around. This creates positive engagement between team members and patients, and follow-up visits become more enjoyable and conversational.
- Post to social media: Do you have an office Facebook page, Instagram account or another form of social media? If not, create one! Post pictures of the team, do an employee spotlight or showcase the inside of your office (Here’s where the decorations come in handy!). Our supported office, Beautiful Smiles Dental Care, has one of our favorite Instagram accounts. Their team is always having fun!
- Celebrate wins – big and small: Let your team know that you appreciate them. This could be as simple as a compliment or giving them a card for their work anniversary. Consider creating daily, weekly or monthly goals, and don’t forget to reward the team for a job well done! Sing their praises at a team meeting or take them out for lunch just to say, “Thanks!”
- Have the right attitude: The easiest way to keep your team engaged and happy is by leading your office with a smile and positive attitude. The energy you bring to work will be noticed and imitated. As the leader of your practice, you are the motivating force.
By creating an engaging work environment, you are building a strong culture and allowing your employees to become the best they can be. You will decrease turnover and help your people progress faster. In addition to your employees thriving, your practice will too!