If you're getting ready to head to dental school, we have one thing to say: congratulations! You're preparing to embark on an incredible journey in one of the most rewarding careers in the world. No matter where you go in the dental profession, you'll be changing lives by helping people smile brighter every day – and that's something to truly be proud of. But first, you've got to prepare for dental school, and there are plenty of things you can do to put yourself in a good position for school and for your career after graduating.
Tips for Preparing for Dental School
In the months before heading off for dental school, try incorporating these tips into your daily routine. They'll help prepare you for the schoolwork you'll have to complete in the coming years.
- Ramp Up Your Reading: In dental school, you'll need to do more reading than you did as an undergraduate, and the reading will likely be more difficult. Start reading more in your day to day – books, magazines, articles, anything. Work on speed and comprehension, which will be vital in dental school.
- Hone Your Hand Skills: Chances are you played an instrument, a sport, or some kind of craft to demonstrate hand skills when you applied for dental school – so don't stop now! You'll need those hand skills during school, so keep them polished in the months before starting.
- Attend a Pre-First-Year Experience: If your school offers an orientation or other experience prior to entering your first year, participate. It'll help you hit the ground running when you get to school.
- Relax: The next few years will be difficult, and you've already accomplished a serious feat by getting into dental school. Whether it's a vacation, a road trip, or just a week off, take some time for yourself before heading off to school.
- Network: Once you get to dental school, you'll want to network as much as possible. Attend seminars, presentations, and events, and be sure to introduce yourself to people while there.
- Keep Up with Current Events: Joining the newsletter of a dental organization or industry magazine is a great way to stay informed on the latest in the dental industry, and following these trends will help you plan ahead for a successful career.
Contact Your Dental Support Organization
Dental school is an adventure, and the career that follows it will be even more exciting – and if you choose to join a dental support organization like Heartland Dental, there's no limit to what's possible. We're proud to offer an incredible array of resources, support services, and networking opportunities to our supported dentists, and we're always looking for bright, driven newcomers to the dental industry. If you'd like to find out more about all that we do at Heartland Dental or learn more about joining our network, feel free to call us at (866) 929-0040 or see what supported dental jobs we're currently offering. We can't wait to hear from you, and we wish you luck in dental school!